Saturday, March 6, 2010

Awapuhi Street

I'm starting to slowing get the hang of this blog thing, and when I say slow I mean that I'm on it probably once every two weeks trying to figure it out. I still haven't mastered the art of joining other people's blogs yet. If anyone knows pleeeeaaase let me know. I'm so lost.

Anyways, Seth and I have been in Oahu for two months now and haven't said anything of it. I thought now would be a good time. We live on a little street in the valley of Manoa called Awapuhi Street; 1931 to be exact. There is a little old Japanese lady, named Tomiko, who lives above us with her daughter Linda. Seth thinks Tomiko is a little intimidating, but I keep trying to tell him that she's just afraid when she's home alone and he knocks on her door to pay rent. The other day she looked out the window and yelled, "What do you want?!" at him. We forgive her, she is just practicing the English that she is learning from her speech classes 3x a week.

Finally, we got a vehicle to put around in a few weeks ago. We were stuck in our basement suite in the middle of a city with a bad transit system about a mile away from the nearest grocery store! You can only imagine Seth and I hauling our groceries uphill a mile with 25lbs. of groceries on each arm. And no, we weren't barefoot, things are different these days.

We've met some really interesting people, and everyone is very friendly here. I'm still getting used to whole "Aloha" thing in church, but its growing on me, as I love to hear the Polynesians sing the musical numbers. Seth is working with Lucent Film Academy (the new busines we are trying to run), while I work at ABC film studios for 'LOST' as an Art Department PA (production assistant or what I like to call the guinea pig). We are both grateful to be here, and it hasn't come without its difficulties but we both feel it will be worth it in the end....it better be anyways cause I need a dang hair cut and no money to pay for one. Kidding. But seriously.

There are a lot of Asian cultures here and so whenever we do takeout orders for work, I have to look up what the Asian characters on the menu mean. I thought I was cultured, I really did. In fact, I thought I knew more than most. Problem being, I've been in Idaho for the past two years and then Alaska! Duh, of course I'm more culutred than most, but just because I know how to use chopsticks doesn't mean I know what pan pan is! Well, I think that's what its called. It's just a basic custard filled bread and its really good! A lot of the food is amazing, I sure love the thai, but something needs to be said about having a Wendy's around. There is only 2 on the whole island!

We've been to so few places on this beautiful island, but the places we have been are stunning! Seth just bought a skim board with the money we don't have and is picking it up really good. We also like to go to the beach in our free time and watch the tourists get in the water for the first time. They llook like us the first time we got it. Excited and racing for the ocean only to be pounded by a wave so hard that all the pride is taken from you as well as your swimsuit. It's always good for a laugh or two or three or four.

For now, in a house basement on Awapuhi Street remains our home. Yet another adventure for the Potters! We love you all and plan to show all those who come to visit all the places we've been and more. See below for the photo details of what I'm talking about...

...stay tuned for more.

5 comments:

  1. so on your profile page i DIED laughing at the shadow puppet thing....and shi, i TOTALLY remember that TV peter pan!!! "uga wuga wig wam..." guess that part!!!???

    these photos and this post are FAN freaking TASTIC!! so fun to hear the updates! hey remember when seth said he was getting fat a couple years ago?? well he's definitely not fat. so if he thinks he is, hit him for us. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a stalker and found your blog... Actually, on my fb newsfeed it was right in front of my face, the message you sent to Lauryn about your blog so I looked it up. :) Is that first pic at Hanauma Bay? Wow, what an awesome adventure you guys are on! I think that would be awesome to do, with or without money! Good luck and take advantage of being in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love ya girl!! We need to get out to the beach one of these days again!! hang in there! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, well, well it's def coming along at least Shiloh... keep at it hahaha I'm so glad you finally have some pictures up though. I really need to just call you so we can catch up. It's sounds like you guys are having a good experience so far? I'm curious about the job you have--the guinea pig eh? Ha that's funny. Well keep it up girl... love ya!

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you through Ash. Live it up while you can and always be ice to oriental women Seth!!!

    ReplyDelete